Have severe itching and redness on scrotum and foreskin. Have itching on thumb developed into bump. Cause?

About 4 days ago I started having soem sever itching on my scotum, then my penis. I don't see any bumps but itching and redness all over my scrotum and foreskin. Yesterday, the inside of my left thumb starting itching pretty bad and today I have a hard bump there. The last time I had sex was about 5 1/2 weeks ago, which was protected.

Worried what it might be.
Posted Sun, 14 Jul 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 53 minutes later

Welcome to health care magic.Thanks for writing here.

Itching over genital lesions commonly point towards following conditions

2.Fungal infection

3.Allergic contact dermatitis.

Involvement of fingers suggest a high possibility of scabies.

It spreads by close body contact and there may be a chance you might have acquired infection from your partner.Protection during sex does not help in preventing spread of infection.

The Itching in case of scabies is more at night and it never involves face ,palms and soles.Initially there may be only redness and skin lesions such as papules,vesicles etc may occur in later stage.

You can also upload photographs of your rash which will help me to guide in a better way.This facility is available in this forum.

I hope we can continue our discussion once you upload photograph.Take care.