Have severe hiccups that keeps coming back. How to get rid of it?

I have severe hiccups that persist for hours, then go away for a short time then come back. What can I do? It keeps me up at night.
Posted Mon, 12 Aug 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 12 minutes later

Do you mean the hiccups appear at night alone? If yes, since how many nights do you this problem?

It would have been good if you can write your age.

Alcohol at night, Gastro esophageal reflux and emotional stress are common for a person who has hiccups at night. I suggest you to avoid alcohol and keep your head end of bed elevated at night. Do not wear tight clothes.

If you have hiccups there are few things that you can immediately do before you start panic.
Blow air into plastic bag
gargle ice cold water for few minutes

Let me know if you have further inquiry about this.