Have severe hiccups after receiving two cortisone shots. What can I do?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am have severe hiccups after receiving two cortisone shots yesterday. I have to deliver a lecture in about three hours, what can I do?!
Posted Tue, 2 Apr 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Hiccups induced by cortisone shots is a rare adverse reaction but has been reported in the literature. To stop these hiccups, the first treatment is that you need to stop taking any further injections.
Drug treatment includes metoclopramide, baclofen or nifedipine. Your physician can choose the drug best for you if the symptoms are persistent.
For short term relief, you can suck on a lemon, have short frequent meals, hold your breath for a few seconds whenever hiccups start.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.