Have severe hair loss. What could be the reason and treatment?

Dermatologist
Question
I suffer from severe hair loss. Please help.
I have a hair wash every 3-days. I oil my hair once a week. I have a regular weights-cum-cardio routine in the gym. I'm currently on NO medication. I'd prefer to speak to a Trichologist please, instead of a dermatologist. You don't have that option in the "select a specialty" section.
Posted Thu, 5 Jul 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 13 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,

I understand your problem and will give you best possible advise.

Most probable cause for your hair loss is Diffuse hair loss or female pattern baldness.

I would also like to know
a) Do you have family history of hair loss/baldness in maternal or paternal side?
b) What kind of job you do /are you under any stressful condition right now?
c)Do you have ever tested for TSH or thyroid function test?
d) Do you smoke or have any other addictions?
e)Are you loosing hair from perticular part of scalp or it is generalized hair loss?
f)Do you have dandruff or any scalp problems?
g)Do you have any children? what is their age?

Please answer the following to help you better.

Specific treatment for hair loss can be advised after knowing the cause of hairloss.

Hairs are stress sensitive structures any illness affecting body will also affect hairs.

In general measures you should avoid stress, maintain good diet ,adequate sleep,regular exercise.

Hairs are indicator of general health.
Take one fruit every day.Take lemon juice and other citrous foods as they are XXXXXXX in vitamin C and anti oxidants.

Hope this helps you .

Anticipating your response.

Dr Sudarshan.

Follow-up: Have severe hair loss. What could be the reason and treatment? 59 minutes later
Hi Doc, my responses below:

I would also like to know
NO

I HAVE AN EASY 9-6 JOB, WHICH IS NOT STRESSFUL AT ALL.

I HAVE NEVER DONE THIS TEST.

NO SMOKING AT ALL. VERY SOCIAL DRINKING

GENERALIZED HAIR LOSS.

MY SCALP BECOMES SLIGHTLY FLAKY DUE TO PERSPIRATION IF THE WEATHER IS TOO HOT

I AM UNMARRIED. HAVE NO CHILDREN.

THANKS.

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 4 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,

Thanks for the details.

My advise to you would be get a thyroid function test done . Hypothyroidism is very common cause of hair loss in middle aged females.Also get a hemoglobin and ESR test done to rule out anemia and chronic disease which can cause hair fall.

In treatment general measures would include multivitamin,multimineral and antioxidant supplements.They should contain biotin , copper ,zinc, methionine and lysine as these ingredients are essential for hair growth.
For antioxidants you can take citrus fruits and XXXXXXX tea preparations.

Saw palmetto is a natural product which is available in oral and lotion forms.It is helpful in stopping hair loss.

Other prescription drugs like minoxidil and aldactone can be prescribed by dermatologist. These are also helpful in stopping hair loss.

Mesotherapy ,platelet XXXXXXX plasma treatment , dermaroller can be helpful procedures.Please discuss these options with your doctor.

Hope this helps.
If you need any clarifications please let me know.

Dr Sudarshan

Follow-up: Have severe hair loss. What could be the reason and treatment? 5 minutes later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX

I will consult my family doctor and definitely get this test done. Will share results with you.

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 19 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,

If you have liked my answer please accept it and rate it at the end.

Dr Sudarshan