Have severe dry mouth, getting wired test in mouth and white spots on tongue. Looking for treatment

The past month I have had a severe dry mouth, weird taste in mouth, waxy feeling on the roof of mouth. Some white spots have occured and one bump on the back left side of tongue. No pain just irritating that my mouth is so dry
Posted Thu, 15 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 2 hours later

You mentioned you have got severe dry mouth. There are lots of causes for dry mouth. Few medical drugs like anti depressants, antihistamines make the mouth dry, mouth breathing, anxiety can make the mouth dry, dehydration, etc. can make the mouth dry. Rare conditions like Sjogren syndrome can make the moth dry. The treatment depends upon the cause.

You need a detailed clinical examination and evaluation to identify the underlying cause. Hence I urge you to visit your primary healthcare provider.

Some practical measures like frequent sips of cold water, taking sugar free chewing gum avoiding excessive consumption of caffeine will be helpful in the meantime. Artificial saliva spray can be prescribed from your doctor.

Hope this answers your query. Do write back if you have other enquiries.

Kindest regards