Have severe dry eye. Feel itchy and have redness. Suggest medicines?

I have severe dry eye problem,my eyes becomes red and itchy..
please suggest me some medicines

I have severe dry eyes,my eyes becomes red and itchy,i work in computers and A/C
so i visited a doctor he prescribed these medicines for me - SYSTANE ULTRA E/D
GENTEAL GEL.CORNIGEL E/ONT.So with these i have some relief but redness and itching still persists. I am using ANTI ALLERGIC - OCCUREST - AH to get rid of Redness and Itching. When i consulted the doctor he told me that I don't close my eyes fully while sleeping so i face this dry eyes which persists in day.He has done test also. what will be the solution for this. I use occurest ah heavily to get rid of this dry eyes.

Posted Tue, 23 Jul 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Ajay Shankar Kar 4 hours later

From your history you are suffering from severe dry eye syndrome. First of all if you are not suffering from any allergy stop using occurest -AH as this may cause epithelial toxicity. You may use Systane ultra 6 times a day. We may add lacryl Pf ointment at night. Discuss with your treating doctor and if he/she agrees, you may add lacryl PF ointment.

If your eye continue to be inflamed a low dose steroid like FML may have to be used. Generally 3 times a day use of low dose steriod for a week or two, can be helpful. Please note that if a steroid is used then it needs to be tapered gradually and stopped. So do not use steroid preparations without consulting your doctor.

In addition to the drugs, do hot water fomentation as it helps in opening the eyelid glands and maintaining tear stability.

Despite all these if you are not getting relieved you may need cyclosporine drops and punctal occlusion which may be temporary or permanent.

Try to blink your eyes while working on system and take breaks in between and use less of AC as it causes dryness too. You need a complete dry eye work up to rule out systemic diseases , meibomian gland sysfunction, blepheritis, lagophthalmos, and sjogren syndrome.

Hope this was helpful. Let me know if you need clarifications

Dr Ajay Shankar Kar
Follow-up: Have severe dry eye. Feel itchy and have redness. Suggest medicines? 3 hours later
Yes due dry eyes i have allergy.My eyes become red and itchy if i go out to dust.Your suggestions are good.But my question is how to get rid of redness in eyes,due to allergy.WHEN I GET UP IN THE MORNING at that time itself my eyes gets red and itchy.So i use Occurest AH.
Answered by Dr. Ajay Shankar Kar 41 hours later
Dear Dixit, If your dryness is associated with allergy then use Olapatidine drops 2 times a day along with a low dose steroid like FML 4 times a day for 1wk, 3 tm/ D 2nd wk, 2tms/D 3rd wk and 1time /D 4th wk and then stop. Use systane 4-6 times a day and lacrygel / genteal gel oint at night. Continue Olapatidine drops for 3 months. You have to be on regular follow up with your ophthalmologist.

Dr A.S.Kar
Follow-up: Have severe dry eye. Feel itchy and have redness. Suggest medicines? 43 minutes later
Hi Sir,

I used Lacri Gel yesterday night,It was good.I didn't had Itchy eyes but some redness I could see when i got up in the morning.Overall your suggestion helped me.Thanks.Could you please tell me the drops name - Olapatadine drops and FML drops name. What we get from medical store and to ask in drug stores?

thanks sir.
Follow-up: Have severe dry eye. Feel itchy and have redness. Suggest medicines? 3 minutes later
Sir ,

Allergy in the sense i have foreign body feeling in the eyes..this is allergy itself right? and redness? Even i get up in the morning i have redness and foreign body feeling,Itchy so please suggest me what i have to do and medicnes.Please suggest me the name what i should ask in Medical stores.

AWAITING for your valued response.......!

Answered by Dr. Ajay Shankar Kar 2 hours later
olapatidine drops- Pataday, Winolap, Patarid and Fluorometholone -FML....Take Care
Follow-up: Have severe dry eye. Feel itchy and have redness. Suggest medicines? 7 minutes later
thanks sir
will contact you shortly.....!
Answered by Dr. Ajay Shankar Kar 2 days later
Pleasure is mine.

Take care!