Have severe cough and feeling a murmuring sound in chest when breathing. What's wrong?

Hello doctor,

I am having severe cough since two days and since this morning, I am feeling a murmuring sound in my chest region when I am breathing in. I dont have any blood pressure or heart ailment history so far.

What can this be?

Posted Sat, 9 Feb 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 20 minutes later

The symptoms you described seems secondary to respiratory infection.

Infections in the respiratory tract causes increased secretions along the respiratory tract. When these secretions are not expelled, it may obstruct the breathing pathway producing sound while breathing. I am sure if you had previous obstructive airway disease such as asthma or bronchitis as you haven't mentioned about it in your history.

Viruses, which are self-limiting infections, are the usual causes of respiratory infection. However at times, secondary bacterial infection takes over leading to worsening of symptoms. Therefore, it is essential to recognize the nature of infection and treat it early.

You are requested to visit your doctor's office for clinical examination. Your doctor can run some basic investigations such as blood count, x-ray and sputum studies (if necessary) after a detailed examination. Symptomatic medications such as bronchodilator and mucolytic syrup along with antibiotics would be prescribed to relieve your condition.

In the interim, please take steam inhalations with Eucalyptus in it - this soothes the respiratory tract and minimizes the cough and sputum.

Hope I answered your query.

Please do let me know if there are any other concerns.