Have severe cough. Pain in throat, abdomen and back. No relief from cedax. Any effective medicine?

Jan 2013

I have been to a dr. already but am still having a severe cough causing throat , abdominal and back pain. The medication perscribed was cedax - but it is not giving any relief , there anything else that I can take? my email is YYYY@YYYY or YYYY@YYYY
Posted Mon, 22 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Let me know your other associated symptoms along with mentioned?
Do you have fever/ chest pain/ running nose or blockage of nose?
Do you have feeling of slippage of liquids from nose via throat to food pipe? It is known as "Postnasal drip" in medical term?
Are you a smoker or past history of smoking?
At what time cough is worsening?

Exact diagnosis could be made on the basis of your supportive symptoms.
With the available described symptoms, there could be possibility of acute upper respiratory tract viral infection along with muscle ache.
Myalgia is an integral prodromal symptom of viral infection.

Other possibility could be Cough variant asthma, Postnasal drip, irritation of central cough receptors.
Cough variant asthma (CVA) is a type of asthma in which clinical examination and all relevant investigations are normal and patient makes complaints of chest tightness and suffocation.
Inhaler bronchodilators are the preferred choice of drug for CVA.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ chest physician and should go for thorough check up.
You should also go for complete blood count, erythrocyte sedimentation rate, chest x XXXXXXX spirometry.

Cedax contains Cefibuten, a third generation cephalosporin.
You can continue the Cedax and you should also take cough suppressants, decongestants.
If your condition won't improve then you should also take Benzanotate along with codeine sulphate syrup.
Use of bronchodilator is needed or not is decided by clinical examination.

You should avoid cold drinks, sour and oily food.
Perform, gargles three times in a day; a glass of lukewarm water with a pinch of salt.

Hope that helps.
Let me know your other query.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava