Have severe chest pain. ECG and stress test normal. Have headache and pain in kidney area. What can be the cause?

Dec 2012

i have severe chest pain tat feels like my heart will explode. ive had echocardiography done and a stress test that came back normal but my diastolic presure is high my cardiologist said that my hert isnt relaxing properly and i also have headaches and pain in my kidney area. i just dont know what is causing these symtoms
Posted Sat, 17 Aug 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

I am pleased to be able to assist you.

First of all, it will be possible that your heart symptom is not related to the pain around your kidney area.
The chest pain might be due to angina pectoris or coronary artery diseases which most of the time shows in echocardiography and/or ECG as normal heart findings. Most at times, it is only determined through clinical evaluation and treatment is initiated on that basis only. The main aim of treatment in angina pectoris is to relieve the symptoms, slow the progression of the diseases and reduce possibility of future events especially myocardiac infaction or heart attack and heart arrest. This will require lifestyle change such as smoking cessation, reduce cholesterol/fat intake, reduce alcohol intake, treating diseases such as hypertension (as in your case of elevated diastolic pressure), hyperlipedimia etc if available. For immediate relief of pain, you might require a medication with antiplatelet properties such as aspirin (which as acts as an antiinflammatory) or clopidogrel, beta blockers such as metoprolol, atenolol, propanolol etc, amlodipine etc, short-acting nitroglycerins (can be used immediately you have an attack) and maybe other medications as prescribed by your cardiologist. In the case where a possible cardiac diseases is ruled out, it will be wise for your doctor to consider looking other organs such as the lungs and the gut. You may be suffering from a lung affection or peptic ulcer diseases which can cause similar pain symptom.
Pain around your kidney area could just be irradiating form the chest pain but it will also be wise for your doctor to consider doing a kidney evaluation by doing a KFT and also doing a urinalysis. Headaches could be an associated symptom.
In your case, a complete blood work up targeted to determine possible causes should be done, so that appropriate treatment can be provided by your doctor.

Hope this helps and wish you the best.
Dr. Nsah