Have severe back pain. CT scan showed 3 bulging discs and pinched traversing nerves. Physiotherapy. What can be the next step?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
I have severe back pain, a CT scan showed 3 bulging discs and pinched traversing nerves. In 2004 I had back surgery with dr. Finkelstein to remove the herniated disc and fuse L4-L5. For 8 years I had absolutely no pain. Now have "bulging discs at L2-L3, L3-L4 and moderately severe degenerative disc disease at L5-S1. These irritating the traversing S1 root, & traversing L3 &traversing L4 roots. My GP sent a referral in dr. Finkelstein 7 months ago and we haven't heard back. I am going for physiotherapy 3 times a week, apart from very costly and taking me hours away from work, I can honestly say I do not find any relief from physio.
What would be the next step, please, I am desperate!
Posted Mon, 15 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 3 hours later

I can understand your back pain. As you have again bulging discs and degenerative disc disease that causes compression over nerve roots and there is no relief from physiotherapy, next step is consult to your spinal surgeon for surgery again to decompress the pressure over nerve roots.

Hope this will helps you. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Wishing you speedy recovery.

Warm regards.
Dr Saurabh XXXXXXX
Orthopaedic surgeon

Follow-up: Have severe back pain. CT scan showed 3 bulging discs and pinched traversing nerves. Physiotherapy. What can be the next step? 2 hours later
I live in Canada where I need a referral to see a spinal surgeon. They all have waiting lists of 24 to 36 months! I am trying for the past 10 months just to get an appointment, but without luck. I do not want to live in so much pain for another year. How do I get a referral to a spinl surgeon in the USA?

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 14 hours later
Thanks for writing back.

I am an Indian based Orthopaedic surgeon and here referral is not a problem and there is no such waiting period.
I suggest you to consult your GP, he/she will refer you to spine surgeon and based on your severity , you will definietly get an appointment on preferance .

Hope this will helps you.

Regards.