Have severe angina and shortness of breath. Given aspirin. What to do next?

My father fell and is having severe angina around defibrillator and shortness of breath. No swelling around defibrillator. We gave him aspirin and he is lying down on his back. What else can we do?
We elevated his chest and gave him aspirin. Got him to stop talking. Played relaxing music. He says that he has recovered, but he is beyond stoic.
Posted Sun, 12 May 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Maruti Karale 1 hour later

Can you check for pulse rate and blood pressure?
Is the anginal pain associated with sweating,palpitation?
Is it radiating to back or arms?
On which side and site pain is exactly located?

I can answer better if you provide these information.

Till the time start him on oxygen if possible (or at least free room air).

He needs an urgent ECG to rule out any life threatening event.

Reply back for any doubt.
Thank you.

Follow-up: Have severe angina and shortness of breath. Given aspirin. What to do next? 23 hours later
Hello Dr. Karale,

I am trying to find the information that you requested. He is Dr. XXXXXXX Kleiman's patient at Methodist in Houston. That said, he is stoic, beyond all sensibility and I am trying to find these answers. I was with him at the time. He reported thatb his symptoms had resolved, but I will call him right now.
He says that the only pain is left-side around his heart. No sweating, no palpitation and no radiating through the arms or back on either side. He can check his blood pressure in an hour and promises to report back to me. He will be in the car, not driving for another 1 1/2 hours.

Thank you for your help and please stay vigilant.

Thanks for reply.

Pain that you described is not typical of angina, still it needs to be evaluate for any ischemia as he is already having heart disease. Hence get an ECG and cardiac enzymes (CPK-MB or Trop-T)done.

As symptoms has resolved nothing more needed for management of symptoms.

Thank you.