Have severe abdominal pain. Done with blood work and CAT scan. Prescribed with librax. No bowel movements. Suggest the cure?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2014
Apr 2014

Radiologist
Question
I WENT TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM 48 HOURS AGO WITH SEVERE ABDOMINAL PAIN, THEY DID BLOOD WORK AND A CAT SCAN, OF WHICH THEY SAID SHOWED NO REALLY BAD PROBLEMS GAVE ME A PRESCRIPTION FOR LIBRAX AND TOLD ME TO DRINK MOSTLY CLEAR LIQUIDS WHICH I HAVE AND EAT SOUPS TODAY FIRST TIME EATING ANYTHING REALLY SOLID. NOW I HAVE HAD SOME PAIN SINCE LEAVING AND NOW TONIGHT REALLY BAD ABDOMINAL PAIN,ALL AROUND THE BELLY, FEELS TIGHT AM SCARED, NO BOWEL MOVEMENT GURGLING SOUNDS

this is an emergency question
Posted Wed, 6 Nov 2013 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You can take pantoprazole and dicyclomine tablets.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

I presume that your doctor has done all the tests and examined you clinically.
They have prescribed you tablet Librax and probably they have thought about irritable bowel syndrome or acid problem.
If their diagnosis is right then nothing more is required and you can take proton pump inhibitors(pantoprazole tablets) additionally.
Colicky pain of intestine may be the cause and in this case also antispasmodics(Dicyclomine tablets) are given.
Ultrasound and CT Scan can exclude many conditions.If it is normal,you shouldn't worry.You will be alright.
Intestinal sound are properly listen by stethoscope.Normally it is not heard by patients.
You should wait and watch and can take fluoroquinolones tablets(Antibiotics) empirically.Antispasmodics(Tablet Dicyclomine) should also be given.

Hope i have answered your query.
Get well soon.
Further queries are most welcome

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Have severe abdominal pain. Done with blood work and CAT scan. Prescribed with librax. No bowel movements. Suggest the cure? 3 hours later
I CAN HERE GURGLING SOUNDS AND PAIN INTENSE COULD THEY HAVE MISSED
A BLOCKAGE ON THE CT SCAN THEY DID BLOOD TESTS AND LISTENED TO MY BOWEL SOUNDS, SAID THERE WERE INNUMERABLE DIVERTICULA IN SIGMOID COLON, LIVER, GALL BLADDER AND STOMACH, PANCREAS APPEAR NORMAL. AM SCARED OF CANCER, AND NO BOWEL MOVEMENT SINCE SUNDAY

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
Obstruction of intestine has many other features.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query
Sorry for replying late

Gurgling sound of abdomen may be due to many reasons. Mostly it is normal. In some cases it indicates digestive abnormality. It doesn't signifies obstruction.

Obstruction of intestine is associated with many features like vomiting, bowel alteration etc.

Diverticulitis may be the reason for pain. It can be managed conservatively.

Cancer of intestine is associated with many other features. Symptoms depends upon site of carcinoma.
CT Scan can detect obstruction. If it is normal in CT Scan then you shouldn't worry.

Hope i have answered your query.
Get well soon.
Further queries are most welcome

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX