Have severe abdominal distension, right upper and middle quadrant pain. Had liver test, what are the findings?

General Surgeon
I have severe abdominal distension, right upper and middle quadranrt pain, with ALT, AST, AND LDH OVER 1000 WITH A NORMAL BILIRUBIN. I AM IN SIGNIFICANT PAIN AND LOOK 9 MONTHS PREGNANT WITH TWINS.
Posted Tue, 16 Jul 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later

Thank you for the query.

As you have had few abdominal surgeries there is a great possibility that you have adhesions in your abdominal cavity. Such adhesions can make intestines narrow and impede stool passage. This leads to a condition called partial bowels obstruction. This gives abdominal pain, bloating, gas and stool problems (can be diarrhea or constipation), nausea.
As you are over the age of 50, large intestine diseases like colon cancer should be also considered. Over the age of 50 the risk of this cancer significantly rises. That is why, every person over 50 should have colonoscopy done.

Upper right pain can be also caused by stones in bile ducts. In such case the pain radiates to the back, nausea can be present. The urine can get dark and stool whitish. According to your liver tests (I assume all AST,ALT, LDH are over 1000), bile ducts obstruction is possible, however this tests can be elevated due to fatty liver as well.

I suggest you to visit your doctor and have some more tests. Abdominal ultrasound, abdominal X-ray and stool tests should be done at first. Colonoscopy should be next.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.