Have severe GERD, lower abdominal pain and shoulder pain with burning chest. What's going on?

Hi, I have severe gerd and lately I have been having pain in the lower right abdomen, pain in right shoulder and between shoulder blades. I feel tired and sick. I also have burning in chest.What can this be?
Posted Mon, 4 Mar 2013 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 32 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

This is called as referred pain - the nerves involving the abdominal viscera also have skin branches supplying the shoulder, hence the pathology associated radiates to the shoulder, on the right side. The cause is quite obvious in your case as severe grade of GERD. The associated symptoms like burning chest, nausea, lethargy and pain abdomen as seen in your case too. The reflux of acid is causing you all those signs. So treatment is aimed at reducing the amount of acid in stomach and to prevent reflux through the upper valve between the stomach and oesophagus tube.

I assume you would have been seen by a doctor for this condition - which means your treatment should have been started by now which includes a list of drugs including acid suppressing drugs and antibiotics depending on the clinical grade.

Lifestyle modifications, all the more important do include bland diet, upright position post meal time, avoiding fizzy drinks etc.

High cholesterol is another issue which I hope you are in continuous review and treatment as necessary with another group of drugs called as hypolipidemic drugs depending on the periodic lipid profile tests and so is thyroid with the thyroid function tests as indicated.

So, I would recommend you get evaluated for GERD soon.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla,
Consultant Physician.