Have severe Fibromyalgia, sleep apnea and swollen knee after replacement. Had broken ribs. Suggest?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
i HAVE SEVERE FIBROMYALGIA, SLEEP APNEA (UNTREATED AT THE MOMENT, BUT i AM GOING TO GET A DENTAL DEVICE) AND A SORE AND SWOLLEN RIGHT KNEE AFTER 2 REPLACEMENTS IN THE SAME KNEE (MY LEG IS CROOKED ALSO). I RECENTLY (3 WEEKS AGO) FELL ASLEEP WHILE DRIVING, HIT A TREE AND HAVE 7 BROKEN RIBS. THEY WANT ME TO GO DOWN ON MY MEDS, BUT THAT SCARES ME A LOT. I AM NOT DRIVING, VOLUNTARILY, NOW. ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR ME?
Posted Fri, 11 Oct 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Sleep apnea needs to be treated too

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

Your current problem of falling asleep while driving was related to sleep apnea, as it leads to lack of sleep at nights and daytime sleepiness. So, if we treat that, your night sleep quality would improve and you would not feel sleepy during daytime. At present, the best treatment for that would be CPAP machine at nights. Please discuss this with a sleep specialist.

Regarding fibromyalgia there are good medications such as pregabalin and duloxetine. If you are not on them, you may start one of them. In addition, physiotherapy would also help.

I hope this helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist