Have several painful bumps around my anus. What could be these?

Hi, I have several bumps around my anus. Sometimes they are painful. What could this be?
Posted Thu, 7 Mar 2013 in Acne
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 31 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

There are different possibilities. These include follicultis, anal tags, warts, herpes.
Follliculitis refers to inflammation of the hair follicles. The area around the anus has hair follicles like the rest of the body and these can become inflammed presenting with painful lesions, in most cases they resolve on their own. Some person find that the use of over the counter bacterial washes , the use of topical antibiotic cream is all that is necessary.

Anal tags are basically remnants of external hemorrhoids that are found in persons with a previous history of hemorrhoids.

Herpes can also present with painful lesions in the anal or genital area. Because herpes is not cured and remains in the system,it can reoccur at any point and then the acute infection would resolve. Medication is given to suppress recurrence in cases where it happens frequently.

The only way to determine exactly which lesions are involved would be to be examined by your doctor, if possible.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Have several painful bumps around my anus. What could be these? 22 hours later
Thank you, Dr. Gibson-James. You put my mind at ease. I will be seeing my regular dr. for a physical in a couple months. It can wait till then.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 16 minutes later
Ok, If you have any other problems feel free to contact