Have several hard lumps on thigh. What could this be?

I have several very hard lumps on the outside of both my thighs. They have been there a very long time, but they still freak me out. What could they be? They don't move around.
Posted Sun, 12 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 25 minutes later
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.
You have given a very nice appropriate description of your problem. There could be many causes for the lumps on the outer side of the thigh. But as you have mentioned that they are hard and do not move around on applying pressure and have there for a l long time, the two most common causes can be Fibroma and Fibrolipoma.
Both of them are quite benign lesions and are not of any concern. The best way to diagnose them with certainty is a FNAC/Biopsy test wherein a small tissue is taken up and studied under a microscope.
You should only get concerned if :
1) The size is increasing.
2) There is a change in colour or texture of skin above the swelling.
3) They become painful
4) New lesions start developing.
Until then you can be comfortable.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you can close the discussion and rate the answer accordingly.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

Wish you good health,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
Follow-up: Have several hard lumps on thigh. What could this be? 21 minutes later
Is there a way to make them go away naturally? Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 2 hours later
Hello again,
Unfortunately not. Infact fibroma and lipofibroma are not of a concern unless there is a cosmetic concern.
There is no way to remove it except surgical excision which you can be avoided as the condition is not serious.
If you are still concerned get a biopsy done and get a definite diagnosis.
Thanks and regards,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD