Have several bulging veins in thigh. Easy way for cure?

I have several Bulging veins in my thigh, one of which is hot, could these cause a clot if they aren't working as well anymore? When are veins a serious problem? I also have one behind my knee that really hurts?
Posted Sun, 5 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 15 minutes later
Dear friend, welcome and thanks for entrusting your query here at Healthcaremagic!
I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical Care Expert- and am glad to address to your query here.

You seem to have Varicose veins (tortuous, enlarged abnormal veins) in the leg.

They occur due laxity of a valve at the groin (sapheno-femoral incompetence) which usually prevents back-pressure and blood moves up from the leg.
When you get varicosities, back –pressure in the lower veins distends them and over long time, engorgement leads to complications.

Early signs are claudication (pain on using the limb and standing long).

Later they may form swelling, skin changes, and lastly ulceration in the lower leg near the ankle. It is a serious and difficult to treat complication.
DVT (deep venous thrombosis) is the serious complication when these veins develop a clot and small clot can dislodge and lodge in the lung vessels and may be fatal (pulmonary embolism).
If these veins or clots get inflamed and infected (septic thrombophlebitis) it can cause pain, hot feel, fever, swelling and potential to spread and clot.
These are the things that can get serious.

I would advise you to get yourself examined; as a hot varicosity may be developing thrombophlebitis. Proximal DVT (like thigh or higher) is more serious than small distal one.

An ultrasound of the groin junction veins may be advised and a surgical consult is helpful if there is no active infection or clot in the thigh veins.

Venous Doppler of the veins may tell if there are clots or complications there.

Treatment is possible.

Keep a watch on fever, increasing swelling, breathlessness, local tenderness and discoloration. Take rest with leg elevated on a pillow if you get pain.

I hope to have answered your query satisfactorily. I would be glad to answer any further queries. Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at
Good Luck!

It helps us to improve continuously if you could please write a rating review before you ‘accept’ and ‘close’ the query.
Thank you!!
Follow-up: Have several bulging veins in thigh. Easy way for cure? 17 hours later
Once these veins are damaged can they heal with proper care? And without surgery?
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 2 hours later
If it is treated well, there is usually development of alternate collateral channels that develop around the blocked vein.

Slow fibrosis and canalisation does develop to variable extent in the clotted portion over long time.

If there is not a severe valve leak, surgery may be avoided.
Thrombosis and thrombophlebitis does not need surgery usually. It is medically treated. uninfected clots will need long term anti coagulation (blood thinners)

Surgery has specific indications here and will be clear when all tests are performed. A complete blood work up, doppler of veins, USG and some other tests are advisable to you.
Please be guided by a surgeon's opinion.

Keep me posted at
Wish you all the best !!