Have sever low Vitamin D and diagnosed with cervical spondylosis. Am I prone to fracture?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
hi my age is 30 yrs i hve sever low vit d i diagonised cervical spondylosis if i had this at this age what is the pronosis m i risk of frature i hve to travel but my doc said use train but i hve to go by bus is it a XXXXXXX disease
Posted Tue, 3 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Definitely not a XXXXXXX disease

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

The normal vitamin D values should be in the range of 30-50ng/ml (though the range may vary). So anything below 20 is considered to be definitely deficiency.

People with low vitamin D levels are at high of sustaining fractures for trivial injuries.

I suggest you to occupy always front seats in a bus so as to avoid any major bumps or jerks which may cause vertebral compression fractures in high risk persons like you. I suggest you to use a cervical collar while making bus journeys.

Vitamin D is very important in bone matrix formation and bone maturation. It also helps in the intestinal absorption of calcium.

So, I suggest you to consult an orthopedic surgeon and follow his prescription for vitamin D supplementation.

Hope I have addressed your query. I welcome any more clarifications.

Follow-up: Have sever low Vitamin D and diagnosed with cervical spondylosis. Am I prone to fracture? 7 minutes later
yes m taking vit d supplements can i travel 12 hours by bus using cervical collar as i m suffering from cervical spondylosis what are the complication of this disease is it common at this age will i get more problem if i travel by bus can i do my normal activities like biking running
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, You can travel but with Cervical Collar.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, its not normal for your age to develop spondylotic changes in the cervical spine.

You won't see any complications from this problem within few years. As you grow old and based on the amount of degeneration in the cervical spine bones, ligaments, joints etc , you may experience pain in the neck along with signs of nerve irritation like shooting pains in the entire hand, tingling & numbness etc.

At your age, Physiotherapy forms the main stay of treatment in the form of strengthening of the para vertebral muscles which helps in maintaining the bony alignment of the cervical spine. Consult a physiotherapist in your locality.

You can do biking, running but with protection (cervical collar)

Hope this information is helpful. Take care
very thanks for your answer just i want to knw one thing coz my ortho hve nt clarify me does the gap beween the bone come closer due to low vit d or any activityor by time does it come very close thanks again for such a fast detailed reply
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No, Vit D will not lessen the gap between bones.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, This is to just let you know that Vitamin D is only concerned with the bone strength and it has got nothing to do with the gap between the bones (the intervertebral disc spaces). The disc spaces will become narrow with age and is generally seen in old age people.

Take regular vitamin D and calcium supplementations, Exercise regularly (aerobic activity), Avoid smoking (if you are a smoker) and have a healthy life style.

Good luck