Have sever back pain and diarrhea. Concerned about kidney function and possibility of dialysis. Suggest?

Question
I have sever back pain & diaharia all the time. I am 92 & have had generally good health most of my life> I am concerned about kidney function & the possibilty of dialysis.
Thank you.
Posted Wed, 7 Aug 2013 in Kidney Conditions

Answered by Dr. Manuel C See IV 2 hours later
Good Day and thank you for being with healthcare magic.

Your diarrhea might be related to your Crohn's disease and the low back pain that you are feeling can be alot of things. It could be chronic low back pain from spinal/lumbar pathology and it can also be from kidney pathology.

Kidney problems usually presents with changes in urine character and voiding patterns, flank pain - can be severe or can also be a vague feeling dull pain. Severe diarrhea may also affect kidney function if you get dehydrated.

To assess kidney function we usually request for serum creatinine, serum blood urea nitrogen - BUN, and simple urinalysis can determine whether there is kidney pathology/disease. If one of these examinations comes out abnormal then an kidney urinary bladder ultrasound will be requested.

I hope i have answered your question and best of luck.

yours truly,

XXXXXXX C. SEE IV MD