Have seronegative rheumatoid arthritis. Developed cold sore on lips. Feeling nausea and headache. Migraine related?

I am a 48 year old female with primary hypogammaglobulinemia and sero-negative rheumatoid arthritis. Several days ago I developed a severe cold sore on the left side of my lip ( I have had them before). I have felt very sick with the cold sore which has included a significant headache on the right side of my head radiating into the eye area. Last night the headache intensified and became very dizzy, nauseous, and I could not walk without stumbling. I eventually was able to fall asleep but this morning I still have a bad headache in the same area. Is this anything I need to be concerned about or is it most likely just a migraine unrelated to the cold sore?
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
The headache restricted to the right side of the head radiating to the eye with nausea is likely to be due to migraine which is not related to the cold sore you are having.
From the symptoms it can be primary headache like migraine or sinus headache if you are having any cold or sinus congestion.
Migraine may present with headache for more than seventy-two hours and is often associated with vomiting, dizziness and visual problems.

For migraine headache, try these lifestyle modifications:

1) Go to sleep and wake up at the same time each day.
2) Exercise regularly (daily if possible) and limit stress through regular exercise and relaxation techniques.
3) Avoid bright or flashing lights and wear sunglasses if sunlight is a trigger
4) Identify and avoid foods that trigger headaches by keeping a headache and food diary and limit caffeine consumption to less than two caffeine-containing beverages a day.
5) You can also try over the counter pain killers like aspirin or acetaminophen. If still the symptoms persist, then please consult a physician for specific anti-migraine therapy (triptans and ergot preparations).

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.