Have septic in nose and swelling on face near the nose. Suggest?

ENT Specialist
Question
hi i have swelling on face near the nose and a septic in nose
Posted Sun, 7 Jul 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 38 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. Get your nose and the swelling on the face examined. Is the swelling on both sides or one? Is the nasal sepsis one sided or in the mid-line?

2. If the nasal sepsis is at the nostrils (lower end of the nose), it may be nasal vestibulitis.

3. The area of the lower nose, adjoining face and upper lip is known as the 'Dangerous area of the Face' as the veins drain blood into the opthalmic (eye) veins and then into the brain before draining to the heart, unlike the rest of the face. Hence infections readily spread in this region and must be treated quickly.

4. If it is possible, send a nasal swab from the septic area to rule out fungal infection (as you are taking Flucos) which may have been inadvertently spread to the nose.

5. You may require antibiotics, anti-inflammatory medication and a local ointment including an antibiotic, anti-fungal and steroid. Diabetes should be ruled out.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have septic in nose and swelling on face near the nose. Suggest? 29 minutes later
Sir , I have uploaded the pic of nose area and spotted the septic , which is inside of nose . I had been getting these septics on forehead and nose but this one is accompanies a swelling . Please advise any medication .

thx XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

It seems that the image has not been uploaded. Please try again.

Awaiting your reply.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have septic in nose and swelling on face near the nose. Suggest? 7 hours later
Sir , I have uploaded the pic . please advice iam feeling feverish !!

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 14 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. From the image it seems to be a soft tissue infection with possibly vestibulitis (a view of the inside of the nose is required). Get the dark pigmented area examined.

2. Since you are feeling feverish, get a prescription for the above-mentioned medication and it should heal quickly.

Regards.