Have sensitive skin on face. Get irritations and redness. Suggested for episoft and dermadew. Suggestions?

Dermatologist
Question
Hi, I have sensitive skin on face. I get irritations sometimes and that area will become red and I can see small rashes in that area so it looks like blushing and my face will be red most of the time. I didn't have this problem earlier. I would like to come out of this problem. I consulted doctor and she suggested me to use Episoft cleansing lotion and Dermadew lotion twice daily. Shall I continue using the same. Or any other suggestions??? Will my face become normal like fair skin or I can't come out of this red face?? Please tell me what I should do.
1) Please explain me in detail what needs to be done.

2)Will it be a permanent problem? Does it lead to any skin disorder? Will my skin come to normal?? Do I need to go for skin check up or its common?

XXXXXX
Posted Wed, 3 Jul 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 15 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX
Welcome to health care magic.
From your description, it seems to me that you may be having a condition called Rosacea.
Rosacea is a condition characterised by sensitive skin, tendency for flushing, reddish rashes and prominent blood vessels which mostly involves the face.
It can be precipitated by factors like sun exposure, consumption of hot and spicy foods, hot beverages like coffee and tea, extreme emotions and alcohol. As a part of treatment, it is very important to avoid all these triggering factors.
You could continue with what your doctor has given you. I would also suggest that you use a sunscreen lotion every 3-4 hours with SPF 30.
If you are having raised papules or pus filled lesions, you will benefit from a course of oral doxycycline. Metronidazole gel also helps in controlling the rashes.
Rosacea could perist for a few years. However, by avoiding triggers as mentioned above and by taking regular treatment, it is possible to get a normal face.
Hope this helped you.

Follow-up: Have sensitive skin on face. Get irritations and redness. Suggested for episoft and dermadew. Suggestions? 6 minutes later
Please name what sunscreen lotion I can use??

With the products suggested by the doctor ( what I am using right now), can I use oral doxycycline, Metronidazole gel and sunscreen lotion anything? Or does it give some side effects by applying many products on face??

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 19 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX
Dermadew lotion is a moisturiser. You could use a sunscreen instead of the moisturiser.
Doxycycline and metronidazole should be taken only after consulting your dermatologist. The doctor can decide when to stop the medications depending on your response. As I told you earlier, Rosacea can persist for a few years. So a regular follow up is essential.
Also try to avoid the other triggers which I have mentioned before.
Hope this helped you.
If you do not have any further clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the same.
Wishing you good health,
Dr. Johny Chacko

Follow-up: Have sensitive skin on face. Get irritations and redness. Suggested for episoft and dermadew. Suggestions? 4 minutes later
Do I need to avoid any food in regular diet? I have read somewhere that milk and strawberry should not be taken in such scenario. I am not sure because I drink milk everyday. What I should do? Do I need to avoid any other food apart from too spicy foods? Or anything I need to take more?? Please suggest me.
Thanks for your help.. Thanks alot.

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 45 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX
In general, you need to avoid hot ,spicy foods and hot beverages. There is no particular item which you you need to avoid. You can continue to have milk, however, do not have very hot milk. Cool it down a bit and then consume.
Spicy and hot foods can increase the blood flow to your face and cause what is known as " flushing" and this is what causes your redness which you have observed. Repeated episodes of flushing will cause raised rashes. This is the basis for avoiding all the above mentioned triggering factors.

Any sunscreen with good UVA and UVB coverage and SPF 30 used every 3-4 hours should help you.

Anxiety and extreme emotions can also trigger flushing. Relax, have a healthy diet, drink lots of water and get adequate rest.

Hope I have answered all our queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr. Johny Chacko