Have sensitive skin and darkness around mouth. Using proactive. No improvement seen. Solution?

Hi, I'm a 18 year old XXXXXX, I have sensitive skin & I have darkness around the my mouth, it's flaky and dry but no pain...I've used cocoa butter oil, everyday regular face washes and now I'm using proactive but I still see no improvement to my problem...I've been dealing with this for a year now and I just want an answer that can finally help me out...
What do you recommend?
Posted Wed, 17 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 17 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
The condition can be seborrheic dermatitis, perioral dermatitis etc.
There is nothing to be worried about and the condition is treatable.
Also I would like to know-
Since when you have this?
Any change of clothes,cosmetics,soaps?
Is the lesion raised/flat?
Is there any scaling /flaking?
Is the area well demarkated or diffuse margin?
If you can post photos of affected skin it can help a lot in predicting the condition.
Answer the questions and post photographs to help you better.
Till the time you can apply aloe vera lotion which is available over the counter preparation.
I would be available for follow up.
Hope this helps.
Follow-up: Have sensitive skin and darkness around mouth. Using proactive. No improvement seen. Solution? 33 minutes later
I've been having this problem for about a year, there are no scaling or flaking. I've posted up 3 pictures now of it now...
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 10 hours later
Hi again,
Thanks for the details.
Ive gone through images.It appears that you have perioral dermatitis and post inflammatory hyperpigmentation.
You need to apply azelaic acid 10% cream daily during day time and kojic acid 2% cream at night time.Take lot of vitamin C in diet .Or take tab.Vitamin c 500mg per day.
Use a good quality sunscreen with SPF 50 in day time.Avoid direct sun exposure.
continue this treatment for atleast 3 months.
Results are slow to occur but will be visible.
Hope this helps.
I will be available for follow up.