Have sensitive scalp, sharp ear pain. Getting burning and tingling sensation. Any solution?

ENT Specialist
Left Side of Head/Face:

EXTREME sensitivity on scalp, uncomfortable almost to the point of pain when moving, lying down, or just running fingers through my hair. Similar to a burning/tingling sensation.

intermittent shooting pains on ear (not in)

Uncomfortable tingling in face from ear to middle of my neck when swallowing (very bad with carbonated beverages, present when drinking milk and water)

Started two days ago when I woke up. Burning scalp and feeling like I was punched on the cheek were first symptoms.
Posted Wed, 1 May 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. You seem to be dealing with a Trigeminal Neuralgia 9burning, tingling, shooting pain in the scalp, face and ear) and possibly a Glossopharyneal Neuralgia (tingling from ear to middle of the neck while swallowing) here.

2. While the single nerve neuralgia is common, a combined neuralgia is very rare. A common pathway in the brain and multiple vessel compression are possible causes. Another common cause of non specific mid facial pain is post sinus surgery. Do you have pre-sinus surgery CT Scan?

3. Hence you must seek the opinion of a Neurologist. MRI Scanning may be advised.

4. Usual medication includes trial with carbamazepine, amitriptyline and gabapentin.

5. You may follow up with the reports for further treatment options.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.