Have sensation of itchiness and something stuck at the back of tongue. Did nasolaryngoscopy and found nothing. Cause?

Aug 2013

ENT Specialist

I am suffering from a strange sensation at the back of my tongue, maybe on the base, on the left side. Sometimes it feels a little bit itchy, and sometimes it feels like there is something stuck on it. I try to clear it by swallowing but I can't. It doesn't hurt, and it is not constant. When eating, it almost disappears completely, and I can swallow without problems. I have no trouble when sleeping, I usually wake up without that sensation, but it appears during the morning and gets worse as the day goes on.

I visited the ENT 9 months ago for the same reason, he did a nasolaryngoscopy and found nothing. That sensation disappeared few days after visiting the ENT, maybe because I stopped paying attention to it. Now it has appeared again and I am worried it can be something serious.

Thank you.

Posted Thu, 19 Sep 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 1 hour later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

My name is Dr Sriram Nathan and I am an ENT consultant and with good experience in treating ear, nose and especially throat problems

Let me first assure you in the light of your previous endoscopy and also because you do not have any serious symptoms that your problem will be something of the benign nature and treatable.

Although there may be many causes for what you are feeling all the clues point towards a reflux problem which is actually a silent disease without any signs and only symptoms which you are suffering.

You can follow these instructions immediately-
1. Start an anti reflux medication like Pantoprazole and domperidone combination twice daily before food for two weeks. Your doctor will know about this
2. Start also a multivitamin tablet like the zincovit in consultation with your regular practitioner
3. Never skip a meal especially breakfast as your symptoms also increase towards the day, take smaller meals at regular intervals and do that regularly
4. Avoid spicy, oily or high flavoured food and do not lie down immediately after you eat
5. Do not strain when you speak

If by following all these for a period of at least two weeks you still do not feel better then we may have to consider other causes for your problem and you may need to get an upper GI endoscopy done along with routine blood profiling.

Hope I have answered your doubts and you may ask me any more

Take care and get well soon

Dr Sriram Nathan