Have sebaceous cyst on scalp. Is it necessary to get them removed?

i have two sebaceous cysts on my scalp for the last 13-14 years (i am 41 years old male). They were small earlier but have grown bigger. they do not cause pain or ooze fluid.

over this period, 3 dermatologists have seen and diagnosed them as sebaceous cyst.

is it necessary to have them removed?
Posted Sat, 2 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 15 minutes later
Thanks for writing to us
Sebaceous cysts are benign lesions underneath skin which are filled with oily or cheesy white discharge.
As these are benign getting them removed isn't necessary, however if the lesion becomes inflammed red tender warm to touch or gets infected or starts oozing discharge on its own, then a doctor's intervention is required.
In your case as you have not mentioned any one of the symptoms associated with infection or inflammation, so I would advise getting them removed is completely a personal choice.
However I would also like to inform sebaceous cyst removal is a very small procedure requiring excision of the cyst followed by simple suturing. The area would heal completely in 5 to 7 days without any complication.
Follow-up: Have sebaceous cyst on scalp. Is it necessary to get them removed? 10 minutes later
Thanks Doctor, for your reply.

Is it ok not to remove them even if they keep on growing slowly ( i had attached a foto). They have reached this size in 12-14 years.
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 21 minutes later
See obviously over a period of time and that too 12 to 14 years any lesion would grow.
I would like to know what is worrying you.
These in no way these are going to get malignant. The only problem that you might face in due course of time is these enlarging lesions getting inflammed and infected and in that case intervention will be required.
Small sebaceous cysts may resolve spontaneously, however large ones may require intervention if causing problem.
If in any way these cysts are causing worries or problem, get them surgically removed.
The area would be locally anaesthetised and then a very small incision would be given over a lesion. The whole sac or cyst would then be removed through this incision intact. The procedure would hardly take 30 minutes and you can resume your daily activities and office immediately after removal.
If you are anxious, you may begin with a single cyst removal and plan it on a weekend.

Follow-up: Have sebaceous cyst on scalp. Is it necessary to get them removed? 38 minutes later
Thanks, Doctor.

I dont have a specific worry / problem as such. Its just a feeling of a pending task...

With best regards
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 22 minutes later
It seems getting these removed is in your plan of things. So instead of waiting get the task done this weekend! It's a very small procedure hardly causing any inconvenience.
PS if there are no queries, we may close the discussion.