Have scratchy throat and swollen taste buds in back of mouth. Given prilosec for acid reflux

General Surgeon
I have swollen taste buds back of mouth and scratchy throat for 2 months. My doctor said it is acid reflux and started me on prilosec. It has been 6 days and a little improvement. Am I on the right track?
Posted Wed, 10 Apr 2013 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 54 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

It is very common that acid reflux disease causes such inflammation of the tongue and throat due to irritation by acid. And the treatment is usually long term so 6 days seems to be very short time. As you can see little improvement your diagnosis might be proper.

However, acid reflux disease can not be diagnosed without upper GI endoscopy. It is because sometimes such symptoms (chest burning, nausea, upper abdominal pain etc) can be caused by stomach cancer. Moreover, increased stomach acid secretion is very often caused by Helicobacter Pylori infection. Without eradication of this bacteria acid reflux can not be cured. And to check presence of this infection, also endoscopy is necessary.

So you have two reason for endoscopy to be performed.

And one more thing, acid reflux disease is very often associated with asthma. So blow test and chest X-ray should be also done.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.