Have scolisis, causes pain in shoulder and rib cage. Should visit neurologist or ortho doctor?

I have scoliosis which causes me pain/tingling in my left shoulder and in the ribcage of my back. Within the last few months, if I get upset, my left shoulder spasms and my left arm and hand tremors mildly. Ativan relieves the problem as does 1-2 beers, but obviously I can't use this as a "treatment XXXXXXX Would a neurologist visit be a good idea? An ortho doctor? or what? This condition seems to have gotten more frequent since my brother died two months ago.
Posted Sun, 16 Jun 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 56 minutes later

Thanks for your health concerns. I believe that a visit to a neurologist would be very appropiate, as the first thing that has to be done is conducting a detailed physical examination particularly a good neurologic exam that includes reflexes and all modalities of sensation to determine if your symptoms are associated with a neurologic deficit. One of the issues that might be going on is a nerve compression at the radicular level due to degenerative disease of the spine. If indeed there is evidence of nerve compresssion, other neuropathic medications might help, such as gabapentin pgabalin or trycyclics; if there is spasm, then there are other long term options that a better than ativan including cyclobenzaprine.

Hope this helps wish you the best health blessings

Dr Brenes Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MnN