Have scoliosis, has estrogen positive breast cancer, hysterectomy, back pain. Could degenerative disc disease be due to no HRT?

I have scoliosis diagnosed at age 16 now age 53
in 1999 I had stage 1 estrogen positive breas cancer
had complete hysterectmy in 2000 because of the estrogen positive
couldn't take hormones therefore I feel like the aging process has gone faster for me than if I had been able to have hrt.
In the last 2-3 years I my back has began really hurtly especially in the lumbar area doesn't scliosis cause arthritis of the spine I have been diagnosed with degerative disc disease,
splonydosis and stenosis. Could this be the result of no hrt?

Posted Tue, 10 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
The degenerative disc disease and spondylosis are age related degenerative changes of spine more commonly seen in post menopausal women. Not taking HRT might be causing a rapid progression of the disease than usual leading to the symptoms you are having.
To retard further progression of these changes, physiotherapy under the guidance of a proficient physiotherapist will be of help.
For symptomatic relief, pain killers and muscle relaxants in adequate combination will help you. You can get these prescribed from your orthopedician.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Have scoliosis, has estrogen positive breast cancer, hysterectomy, back pain. Could degenerative disc disease be due to no HRT? 18 hours later

I have scolisis and as I am getting older I am noticing severe lumbar pain
especially if I try to bend over and some times if I raise my hands above my head
I have a terrible pain that stays until I reposition myself. Is the scoliosis causing this my curve is approx. 24 at top of spine and approx. 34 degrees in the lumbar area
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 17 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Most likely it is the spondylottic changes of the spine which are causing the pain. Scoliosis is only aggravating the discomfort. Using a spinal belt, hot fomentation and appropriate physiotherapy will be helpful in decreasing the discomfort.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.