Have scoliosis and bulging disc at the site of synovial cyst. Addicted to hydrocodone. What is the treatment?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am a 45 yr old women with a hx of scoliosis and degenerative disc.A fracture to the L1 Vertebra then a synovial cyst removed at the L4 2 years back.I also was told this week. following a M.R.I of my spinal column that I have a bulging disc at the site of my synovial cyst excision at the L4.I have peripheal neuropathy and a rather large bone spur on the bottom of both heels! I was honest in that after 10yrs of nursing and another unrelated surgery 4 yr ago . I became addicted to hydrocodone....But recovered with subutex.I absolutely know that returning to that horrible time in my life is something I DO NOT AND WILL NOT EVER ENTERTAIN! unfortunately being seriously affected by the physical pain of all of this .And being upfront and honest with the E.R doctor's. With my primary and any one who treats me medically !!! Now I am being told that no m.d that I see will prescribe opiod pain meds.What options are available now???? If I was drug seeking I wouldn't see the doctor's that KNOW my past history.So what now? Thank you for your patients in reading this and please if you have any advice, I certainly need it because I truly need something to get me over this hump!!! Then hopefully there is a surgical tx that will start me on the road towards a FULL RECVERY! Thank you and God bless, XXXX. YYYY@YYYY
Posted Mon, 2 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: surgical decompression will help you Detailed Answer: Hello I have studied your case. Your MRI says disc bulge L4 with cyst bulge leads to compression of nerve root which. Due to compression of this nerve root there is pain in your back and leg. You have completed all sorts of conservative therapy and you are not getting expected result. So now I will advise you to go for minimal invasive spine surgery and decompression of disc bulge. Look for any facet arthropathy in your MRI spine. Later on follow post surgery rehabilitation and physiotherapy. For your heel spur you need silicon heel pad, plantar exercises, if required steroid shots can be taken locally consulting orthopaedic surgeon. As you are opiod dependent you can take OTC tab Percocet 10/325 for pain relief. I will advise to check your vit B12 and vit D3 level. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.
Follow-up: Have scoliosis and bulging disc at the site of synovial cyst. Addicted to hydrocodone. What is the treatment? 41 minutes later
Thank you so much Dr XXXXXXX You were extremely thorough in your f/u reply! I don't Know if you practice in India, or the U.S but The opiod analgesic percocet 10/325 is only given by prescription only, and is not available otc! I totally agree that Percocet 10/325 is an Exellent choice for pain control in me personally!!! I have a great friend and an Exellent support system in place to lower the chances of a relapse.And I WILL go as soon as possible to an Orthopedic surgeon and ask if decompression surgery is an option that that he or she would consider.So my recovery will begin and my time on Percocet will be as short as possible.Also tx. on the bone spur will also be effective! Blessings to you and your family and people that you help.As I feel blessed to be one of those people. Thank you again Dr.Gandhi!!!!!
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 4 hours later
Brief Answer: welcome Detailed Answer: Take care.