Have sclerosis of the liver. Developed painful skin growth on breast. Proper diagnosis?

General Surgeon
Hi Dr. Christensen,
My question pertains to my brothers health situation that I've tried to help him with 24/7. He's been drinking since he was 16. Hard liquer for the last 20 at least. He is now 58. His Doctor said he has Scierosis of the liver and there's nothing they can do.
Last year he bled profusely from his Esophugus. Luckily they were able to cartarize it to stop the bleeding.
My question is. He has developed a painful med to large mass on the left breast that he says has grown in the last few months. Now he says it has also developed on the other side. Is there residual problems from drinking that would cause painful masses like this? I know the outlook isn't good but I would like to understand what were facing alittle more. He will not go to a doctor out of fear and complacency now. Feedback?
Posted Thu, 14 Mar 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 31 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Your brother has something that is called gynecomastia. It is associated with liver cirrhosis. Such damaged liver can not metabolize estrogen which is the main reason of gynecomastia. Moreover alcohol can directly impede testosterone and estrogen balance so there is more estrogen than testosterone.
The only help he can get is to get scheduled for liver transplant. But he needs to stop drinking in case of being able to get new liver.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.