Have scarred MCL causing knee to buckle, stiffness, locking, catching, and unable to put weight on it. Treatment?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
What is the treatment for a scarred MCL that is causing knee to buckle on a daily basis, stiffness, locking, catching, and unable to put weight on it? Pain has been constant for the past 2 years.
Posted Tue, 10 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 19 days later
Brief Answer:
I suspect Meniscal injury as the cause of symptoms

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Your symptoms of pain, stiffness, locking & catching typically suggests a MENISCAL TEAR rather than MCL injury. Treatment of meniscal tears can be conservative or surgical depending upon the site and severity.

An MRI scan of the injured knee will give an elaborate picture on the amount of damage inside the knee joint and aid in the diagnosis.

Treatment of an isolated MCL injury is generally nonoperative with protection against valgus stress and early motion.Grade I and grade II injuries can be placed in either a cast or a brace and bear weight as tolerated.

In general, good outcomes can be achieved with nonsurgical treatment and rehabilitation of isolated MCL injuries.

Hope I have addressed your query. I welcome any more clarifications