Have runny nose and found small trace of blood in mucus. Is this due to dry weather?

Jan 2013

I found very small trace of blood in my mucus, nose discharges every day for months. Is this something bad? is the dry weather?
Posted Sun, 24 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 31 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Let me know the associated symptoms along with mentioned.
Do you have fever/ yellow colored purulent nasal discharge/ nasal blockage?
Do you have cough along with sputum?
Do you have positive family history of allergy?

With the available described symptoms, there appears to be possibility of allergic rhinitis and sinusitis or upper respiratory tract viral infection with secondary bacterial infection.
Nasal pathology by any pathology may cause swelling of nasal mucosa with presence of blood in nasal secretions.
As such dry weather is helpful in nasal pathology by decreasing swelling of nasal mucosa.
Possibility of nasal pathology i.e. deviated nasal septum/ polyp must be ruled out.

You should again consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist & ENT surgeon simultaneously and should go for thorough check up.
You should go for complete blood count, erythrocyte sedimentation rate, chest x XXXXXXX and x XXXXXXX PNS (Paranasal sinus) view.
You should also go for nasal / throat swab culture & sensitivity.

Meanwhile, you should take complete antibiotic therapy, decongestants and mucolytics.
You should avoid cold drinks, oily food, and yogurt.
You should perform gargle three times in a day; a glass of lukewarm water along with a pinch of salt.

You can ask direct query on this URL:

Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava