Have round red welt on leg and getting bigger. Using cortisone cream for itching. Should I be concerned?

My mother has a round red welt on her leg, thinks it is a mosquito bite that she got on Saturday night. She has been putting cortisone cream on it for the itching. It now has gotten bigger and has a red line coming out of it on both sides. The red circle is a bit smaller than a dime. Should she be concerned?
Posted Sun, 5 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 2 hours later
I would be pleased to answer your question .

What she has got on that area is a purpura , that means a little amount of bleeding into the skin . It can occur at her age secondary to scratching the area or due to the mosquito bite itself .

She should not be worried about it as it will take its own time to resolve. She may put some ice on it daily to reduce the reduce any discomfort.

Thanks and Take care
Follow-up: Have round red welt on leg and getting bigger. Using cortisone cream for itching. Should I be concerned? 24 minutes later
Thank you. Are you saying the purpura is the roundish red area itself that she thought was a bite or is it the red line or both? A friend told her a red line is indicative of an infection. That is why I wrote to be sure that is not the case. Are you saying the red line is the purpura?
Also, can you tell from the photo if this red circle is from a mosquito, spider or deer fly? It is flatter than a typical mosquito bite and seems to be under the skin. She has 12 other bites on her legs but this is the worst. She was wearing jeans so can't imagine how the bug bit through her jeans.
Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 4 minutes later
Thanks for the reply

It would be difficult to tell you the causative fly or insect from the lesions .
Both the redline and the roundish XXXXXXX are purpura.

It is not a sign of infection .