Have round red rash on stomach with purple patches. What could it be?

Mar 2013
I have a round red rash on my stomach with XXXXXXX purple patches in middle, what could it be? I did have a little itch when it started.
Posted Fri, 1 Mar 2013 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 16 minutes later
The rash could be a drug reaction, as certain medications cause such eruptions.
An elaborate drug history, if any , would help.
Also, some skin lesions like psoriasis, bleeding / clotting disorders or are on blood thinners for some reason, purplish patches could develop.
Coagulation defects also commonly cause such purplish patches.
Allergy / eczema might cause such a picture
If you have accidentally bruised yourself, or are extremely overweight, such patches can crop up.
You need to consult a dermatologist as soon as possible to arrive at the exact diagnosis, since you are not in pain, using OTC medication might worsen a specific disease.
A dermatologist would examine you, order appropriate blood / skin tests and prescribe accordingly.
Take care and feel free to ask for further clarifications.