Have round itchy rash on ankle. What should I do to remove this?

I have a round red itchy spot on my ankle. It looked like a small bite when it started but is now the size of a dime. It looks like it is clearing up then breaks out again and becomes crusty.. it is very itchy and it looks like I have another spot starting up about 6 inches higher on the same leg.
Posted Wed, 17 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.
The condition can be furuncle,insect bite,contact dermatitis , folliculitis etc.
There is nothing to be worried about and the condition is treatable.
Also I would like to know-
Is there any ulcer on the area?
Since when you have this?
Any change of clothes,cosmetics,soaps, new place of visit?
Is the lesion raised/flat?
Is there any pain?
If you can post photos of affected skin it can help a lot in predicting the condition.
Answer the questions and post photographs to help you better.
Till the time you can apply aloe vera lotion which is available over the counter preparation.
I would be available for follow up.
Hope this helps.
Dermatology STD specialist.
Follow-up: Have round itchy rash on ankle. What should I do to remove this? 27 minutes later
Thank you Doctor for your comments,
The condition started as a small red mark(I thought maybe a spider bite) about 4 months ago. Presently it is flat than when it breaks out it becomes raised with a dry crust on the top area. This maybe caused from scratching even though I try not to scratch.
Always concerned about skin cancer.
Regards XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 8 hours later
The condition appears to be discoid eczema .You need not worry about skin cancer as the itching is not a feature of cancer.Cancers are mostly asymptomatic and present with bleeding.Itching in the lesions usually rules out cancer .
You can take tablet zyrtec for itching and apply hydrocortisone cream twice daily.
If you can post images of affected area it would certainly add to certainty of diagnosis.
Post the images and we continue the discussion here.
Hope this helps.
I will be available for follow up.