Have ringing in ear after eating. Having back pain, feeling fatigued, bowel movements problem. Looking for suggestion

I have ringing in my left ear a while after I eat. This started 4 yrs ago after I drank too much liquor on night. recently Ive stopped drinking. I have a lower to mid back pain that wont go away My bowel movements went from large to small I expierience slight mild pains in my left and righ side when I eat I also extremely fatigued with these symptoms. I was in the er for pencil stools and constipation. Since then they are about medium. Brownish XXXXXXX in color If I drink coffee it makes me nausous with anxiety and upset stomach. what is your best prognosis
Posted Mon, 23 Jul 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 43 minutes later

Three possibilities are important to be ruled out in your case:
1)     Constipation which is causing these symptoms.
2)     Gall baldder disease
3)     Gastritis

Follow these lifestyle measures for a relief from symptoms:

1)     First of all increase the fiber amount in your diet. The best natural sources of fiber are fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. Eat a diet XXXXXXX in fiber, especially from fruits and vegetables and eat slowly and chew you food well. You may even add bulk forming agents like salads, bananas etc or psyllium husk to your diet.

2)     Exercise regularly such as the regular walking and knee-to-chest position which activates bowel movement.

3)     Drink plenty of fluids and water everyday.

4)     Decrease intake of alcohol, caffeine, tea and cola drinks

5)     Go to the toilet at the same time every day which helps in regularizing the bowel.

6)     Do not take any over the counter laxatives like Senna which can worsen the condition.

7)     If the symptoms persist then you may need osmotic laxatives like polyethylene glycol PEG or miralax after your doctor’s prescription.

8)     Try raising the head of your bed about four inches with blocks.

9)     It also might help to avoid eating or drinking for two hours before you lie down.

10)     To help control the stomach acid, one should not drink alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them, or eat chocolate or spicy or greasy foods.

11)     Also take some antacid but if the symptoms are severe, then you may need drugs like proton pump inhibitors like omeprazole after consulting your doctor.

If the symptoms persist then other causes of constipation need to be ruled out for which you need investigations like barium enema upper GI with small bowel series, CT scan abdomen, thyroid profile, motility and imaging studies and colonoscopy. For these you need to consult a gastroenterologist.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health.