Have right sided groin pain. Have had bi-lateral hip replacements done. X-ray clear. Any suggestion?

Question
I have right sided groin pain mostly when I lay down. It is a mild burning sensation. Once I am up and moving around it disappears. Occasionally noticeable when I am sitting. I am female. I have had bi-lateral hip replacements 8 years ago. Have had x-rays (recent) - no problems there.
Posted Mon, 23 Jul 2012 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.
Its possible that your pain is being caused by a simple muscle spasm or a kidney or a ureteric stone. It could also be originating from the ovaries or another pelvic organ.
Burning pain is usually suggestive of an infection which the stone could have precipitated. In order to help you better, I would request you to answer the following questions:
a. Have you noticed an increased frequency or burning in urination?
b. Is this pain associated with any nausea or vomiting?
c. Has an ultrasound of the kidney-ureter-bladder region been done for you?
d. Have you recently been involving yourself in some unusual activity?
e. Are you receiving any medication currently?
Awaiting your reply

Follow-up: Have right sided groin pain. Have had bi-lateral hip replacements done. X-ray clear. Any suggestion? 4 hours later
a. Have you noticed an increased frequency or burning in urination? No
b. Is this pain associated with any nausea or vomiting? No
c. Has an ultrasound of the kidney-ureter-bladder region been done for you? No
d. Have you recently been involving yourself in some unusual activity? No
e. Are you receiving any medication currently? Yes, regular meds- plaquenil, nexium, wellbutrin

Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 11 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
It seems unlikely that you have a muscle spasm or have pulled a muscle. We could be possibly looking at a stone or an ovarian cause of the pain. You can get relief from the pain by taking Tablet Motrin 1 tablet as and when required with food, to take care of the pain. Please see your GP and an ultrasound of the kidney-ureter-bladder region and the pelvis is in order.
Additionally, drink plenty of plenty of water ( about 3-4 litres a day). In addition, the following foods should be avoided till we are certain we are not looking at a stone:
a. rhubarb, spinach, beets
b. Swiss chard, wheat germ, berries
c. Soybean crackers
d. Peanuts
e. Okra
f. Sweet potatoes
g. Whole grain
Let me know if you need any more help