Have rhomboid on shoulder. Taking tramadol hcl 50 mg. Feeling cold and fatigued. What to do?

My husband is taking tramadol XXXXXXX 50 mg tablets. He has had a issue for three weeks with his back around T-6 and Rhomboid on right shoulder. We have taken him to the Dr. for the pain They gave him carisoprodol 350 mg and nabumetone 500Mg. He is still hurting in the floor with the pain wrapping around the front of his right pectorial area? I have taken him to a chiropractor and he did have a rig out in that t-6 area. However, he is still in extreme pain. Tonight he has started sweating profusely on his head, neck and entire back??? I took his temperature and it's only 96.2??? Do you think this could be any of the meds he is on ( side effect) or is he in that much pain to sweat that bad? He also complained of chills and fatique. He hasn't sleep good for a long while due to the pain. He sleeps in the recliner and sometimes with his elbows on his knees sitting. So pitiful :(
Posted Sat, 13 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for posting the query
I have read your query in detail.
Can you please tell me that how you pain started?
Have you undergone any trauma (recent or old)?
Is the pain continuous?
What factors reduces your pain??
As you have a history of vertigo, in my opinion you should be investigated for cervical spondylosis. That may be the cause for pain in shoulder and pectoral area. If you have any history than let me know?
Now about the sweating it can be due to medication and also due to severe pain. All depend upon the severity of pain at the time of episode and at what time interval from the episode you have taken the medication. Please consult you treating doctor before taking the next dose of medication.

Please answer the question so that I am able to advice you some measures to reduce pain.
Best Wishes
Dr. Kulbir Singh
Follow-up: Have rhomboid on shoulder. Taking tramadol hcl 50 mg. Feeling cold and fatigued. What to do? 4 hours later
Pain started when my husband tried to move a piece of farm equipment closer to the tractor hook up. He tried to move a box blade. I massaged that injury seemed to get better then a few days later he moved a refridgerator for his grandmother. He injured the same area again. This time I couldn't get him any relief with massage or ice. He had to go get the meds. He started feeling a little better and then he bought a storage building contents from an auction. After unloading the contents into a trailor he was unable to unload the trailor for the pain. He rested and then was able to unload contents. It just seems that the injury is not getting completley better and he keeps injuring the area.

He use to ride bareback horses in his youth that could have caused scar tissue?

The pain was continuous more at night than during the day. I'm worried that he isn't getting any sleep due to the pain.

There is two things that seem to reduce the pain standing or leaning forward while sitting.

He complains of tingling in his arm and ring finger and pinky finger. Last night he sweated like unatural! I had never seen someone sweat and water run off the neck down the chest and bead up on the back. I thought I was going to have to take him to the hospital.

However, I remember hearing that when you are in extreme pain you will sweat. His temperature is up to 97.2 at 3 am and 8 am but not to the usual 98.6 he usually stays at.
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 31 minutes later
Hello and thanks again for the query
Thanks for the detail history. Your husband reaches the acute state of pain because you are not allowing the injury to heal properly and injured it again and again. The pain is due to vertebral strain. Complete bed rest is best treatment for such kind of injury. Other measures that help you in reducing your pain are:
1. Alternate hot and cold fermentation.
2. Use hard bed to sleep, avoid pillow.
3. Do not massage it, it may delay the healing. Only apply anti-inflammatory gel gently to reduce pain.
4. Do regular physiotherapy and exercise by consulting you physiotherapist.
5. Avoid all long term sitting, standing and driving.
6. Avoid jerky movements of back.

Feel free to consult your doctor if your symptoms not reduce in 1-2 days. Get your X-ray done and if needed MRI of spine as per advise. Severe pain can be reduced by tranquilizers as advised by your treating doctor.
Again my advice is to consult the doctor before taking the next dose of medicine, sweating may be related to that. Low temperature is due to profuse sweating. Keep your husband hydrated.

Hope you got the answer to all your queries. Write if you have another query.
Best Wishes and Get well soon.
Dr. Kulbir Singh