Have rheumatoid arthritis. Feeling tightness and numbness in arm and breast. Any treatment?

Hi there,

I have rheumatoid arthritis and am concerned about something. A few days ago, the back of right right arm started going has now traveled to include the side of my right breast. Feels also like a belt has been tightened around that area. Very uncomfortable. if I touch my skin, it is totaly numb. I am scared. Thanks.
Posted Mon, 27 Aug 2012 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 10 hours later

In view of symptoms the issue seems related to nerve. Numbness is typically seen in nerve issues, which spreads along extent of nerve pathway.

It can be due to nerve compression at level of cervical spine or brachial plexuses. In RA such nerve issues are seen particularly due to involvement of inter-vertebral joints. Most commonly involved joint is atlanto-axial joint.

I think you should get this evaluated by your doctor. Your doctor might want to get xray of cervical spine or if needed MRI done for this.

Hope this answers your question.