Have rheumatic heart disease with mild mitral regurgitation. Looking for advice

Hi Doctor,

Pls advice as to what the following means on a Echo Doppler Study Report:

Rheumatic Heart Disease with Mild MR.
Concentric LV Hypertrophy.
Normal LV Systolic Function
Mild MR

Pls advice..

Posted Tue, 26 Mar 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 42 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
I am qualified and certified cardiologist. I read your mail with diligence. To answer the asked question, I am taking your report point wise:

1. Rheumatic Heart Disease with Mild MR.
Rheumatic heart occurs because of having had rheumatic fever (which must have been without symptoms or occurred in age of which do not remember). Rheumatic fever affects 5-15 years of children who had bacterial infection of sore throat which is often not treated adequately. Fortunately you have a very mild form of heart disease and it looks unlikely that it will progress further. You have involvement of only one valve that is mitral valve and this degree of leakage(regurgitation) at this age will not progress if you keep your blood pressure under control.
Concentric LV Hypertrophy.
As the other left ventricular valve that is aortic valve is not involved so this refers to thickening of septum as a result of high Blood Pressure. You have normal systolic function so if blood pressure is kept under control this thickening(hypertrophy) will not progress.
Normal LV Systolic Function:
Apart from high blood pressure other risk factor which can make systolic function worse are those which lead to coronary heart disease. So, have the doctor look for high cholestrol, diabetes. Also, you should avoid smoking, stress and maintain a normal body weight. Additionally, doing regular aerobic exercise will help you in avoiding coronary artery disease.
If there is any further question I will be most happy to answer. Good Luck.

Best Wishes.

Dr Anil Grover