Have retracted eardrums due to a head cold. Took ipatropium bromide nasal spray, mucinex-D. Valsalva hurts. Use heat pad?

ENT Specialist
I have retracted eardrums due to a head cold. For the last two days I have taken prednisone, ipatropium bromide nasal spray, mucinex-D, and my right ear is STILL killing me. Right inside the ear drum and down into the eustachian tube. Valsalva hurts, it pops right away but then keeps on popping over and over on its own after that, and there is no relief. What else can I do? Any type of poultice? heat pad? Will aceteminophen or ibuprofen help?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. Use xylometazoline nasal drops or a spray such as Otrivin especially on the right side. Drops should be instilled along the lateral (side) wall of the nose, with the head thrown right back while lying down on a bed with a pillow under your shoulder. Alternatively you may use the drops in the 'Mecca' position. This is to ensure that the drops pass over the opening of the Eustachian Tube opening which is situated on the lateral wall of the nasopharynx.

2. Repeated steam inhalation through the nose and mouth for 10-15 min will help. Continue the rest of your medication. Ibuprofen will help. Take it after food. Avoid if you are asthmatic.

3. A Tympanogram (Impedance Audiogram) will help decide whether the middle ear pressures are abnormal, necessitating further intervention.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.