Have restless legs and noticed swelling below the knee. What treatment should be done?

Spine Surgeon
My left leg swells below the knee and at night I have restless legs that seems to be more often in the left leg
Posted Thu, 17 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Krishna Kumar 1 hour later
Thank you for sharing your problems here.
In order to help you better, i would need a little more information from you.
a. Do you have swelling below the knee only at night or all the time?
b. Do you have any back pain or discomfort which spread to your legs?
c. Are you currently on any medicines for restless leg syndrome?
Please revert to me with the above details. We will be able to take this discussion ahead in a more fruitful manner.
Follow-up: Have restless legs and noticed swelling below the knee. What treatment should be done? 24 minutes later
A. It only swells at night when I'm at work which is betwwen 7pm and 2am and I do work in my feet
B.yes lower back pain
C.I dont take any medications
Also I do lift weights. I've always had restless legs at night since a child but never diagnosed with RLS. I have noticed the swelling since lifting in the last 15 months
Answered by Dr. Krishna Kumar 5 hours later

Thanks for providing the additional details.

Swelling of lower limbs is associated with many medical conditions. However if the swelling is unilateral as in your case, it needs further evaluation with Doppler scan to look for some problems with the veins of the leg. That may be one of the reasons of restlessness.

Back pain due to disc problems also can cause leg symptoms.

I would suggest consulting a doctor nearby to guide through the test. Further treatment can be planned according to the Doppler results.

Meanwhile you could try elevating your legs with pillow while in bed and also massage your legs with hot water bag before going to bed daily.

I hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any other enquires.

Best Regards