Have repeated swelling on cheek due to post traumatic vascular malformation. Which specialist should I consult?

Cosmetic & Plastic Surgeon
my son got hit when 4 yrs old on the cheek and it instantly swelled up really bad. Doctor said it would go away and it did. 1 1/2 years later he got hit with a basketball in the same cheek and again it swelled up instantly really bad. Doctor said it would go away and it did. Year or so later it sewll up without any contact, I waited and it went down but not quite all the way. Year or so later it swelled up again without contact, I waited and it went down but not all the way. Few years later it went up, without contact, really big and I said to my self something is wrong. Went to three doctors for their solutions and compared the information. Settled on XXXXXX California doctor who did surgery by cuting the skin at the ear and tried to clean out what he said was "blood vessels growing wildly and causing the swelling" The cheek never did go down to normal and last week it sewlled up larger than ever before even spreading down the cheek. Got any advice so I can approach this intelligently with another doctor? Don't know if dermatologist is tthe right doctor to contact. The sewlled area does not hurt and is soft to the touch. No tumor. I f this cannot be intelligently answered on line please do not waste mine or your time and my money. I have use online doctors before on the internet and was very satisified.
Posted Thu, 18 Oct 2012 in Beauty
Answered by Dr. Mayank Singh 6 hours later
Thanks for posting your query on health care magic.
First of all by the history you have given what appears to me is that the repeated swelling that is coming is due to post traumatic vascular malformation.For this problem you need to approach a Plastic surgeon or Vascular surgeon.
The correct protocol to manage this problem is
1) XXXXXX your physician and get it investigated in the form of a radiological test such as Magnetic resonance imaging or magnetic resonance angiography to know the nature of the lesion.
2) if it is a slow flow lesion it may be surgically excised again in a proper manner by a qualified Plastic surgeon or injection therapies are available which may help in the swelling to subside
3) if it is a fast flow lesion we need to know the source vessel which needs to dealt with by embolization around 48 to 72 hours prior to Surgery.
All these guidelines I'm telling you assuming the diagnosis to be a vascular malformation.The diagnosis needs to be confined first by the imaging test and clinical evaluation by a Plastic surgeon first.
I hope i have answered your queries and haven't wasted your time.If you have any further doubts feel free to post again
God bless