Have renal cortical cyst. Will it be cured by surgery or medication?

Jan 2013

i have renal cortical cyst of size 16.8 x 14.0 mm in right kidney please tell me that for this type of cyst medication is sufficient or surgery is required while my urine culture report shows no abnormality and RBC(0-2) and pus cells (0-2) appears in urine examination results.
Posted Sat, 26 Jan 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 25 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Renal cortical cyst is a common radiological finding and occurs in about 50% of people over the age of 50.
A cyst is defined as a membranous sac containing fluid and renal cortical cyst may be rounded/ oval, may unilocular or multilocular(multiple septa are present inside the cyst).
These cysts may arise from tubular or lymphatic obstruction.
Most of these lesions are benign simple cysts and doesn't require any further evaluation, intervention & treatment.
Your urine routine & microscopic examination is also normal so you don't need to worry.

Renal cortical cysts are rarely associated with conditions like tuberous sclerosis, von Hippel-Lindau disease, neurofibromatosis, or Caroli's disease; if any associated symptoms are absent then possibilities of these rare diseases are also very low.
Presence of abdominal pain, burning urination, infection and hemorrhage in cyst may require treatment for cyst.
Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: Have renal cortical cyst. Will it be cured by surgery or medication? 12 minutes later
thanks for your response but actually i want to know that i need surgery for this or medication is sufficient and please can you give me the details of medicine and their dosage and please note that my rbc count was 0-2 in urine examination which should be normally absent
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 13 minutes later
If you are asymptomatic except for radiological finding of right sided renal cortical cyst, the there is no need of surgery and any medicines.
Urine test report of 0-2 RBC per high power field is normal & not to be worried much. Few RBC & epithelial cells are shed and are harmless.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava