Have regular periods. Noticed brown discharge after sex. No abdominal pain but feels tired. Guidance?

Hi Doctor,
My wife aegis 28, she have regular periods 27/28 day. We had sex on 5,6,12,22nd day.
Now it's 36th day, just today she got brown and pinkish red spot and after then she got tierd. Before it she doesn't had any symptoms but abdominal pain. Before this spotting we checked the pregnancy test using kit, it is not double line or negative. Looking for your guidance, is it period symptom or we have wait and have extra care during these days.

Posted Sun, 18 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 7 hours later

Your wife period had 8 days delayed this time.. Home pregnancy test is not doubtful line or negative-as you stated. She had brownish spotting today.

Based on the details it most likely a delayed period. However early pregnancy with spotting or tubal pregnancy cannot be excluded.

I suggest you to repeat home urine test after 2 days to confirm. If there is any suspicion about pregnancy now, blood hCG test can be done to clear the doubts. It comes positive in 8-10 days of ovulation if pregnancy is positive.

You can get the test done and if pregnancy is ruled out, delayed period may follow in a couple of days.

I hope the answer has satisfied you. In case of further queries, I would be happy to help you .

Thank you

Follow-up: Have regular periods. Noticed brown discharge after sex. No abdominal pain but feels tired. Guidance? 6 hours later
After yday night red spot along with brown, Today morning there were red spots, after 2 hrs seems to be bleeding. But its all red, usually we had seen to be dark brown and it will be thick, but now it is all red and all more watery and had to change the napkin which seems abnormal than normal period. Is this a period and normal?
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 2 hours later

The normality of periods & bleeding varies from person to person. If you feel the period is not normal repeating the test as described above can clarify your doubts.

There may be temporary change in menses due to certain causes like-
- ill health in the month.
- excessive physical strain
- undue psychological stress.
- Hormonal imbalance.

When period is delayed,the inner layer of uterus grows thicker. This causes more bleeding. That may be the most likely cause of changed bleeding pattern in your wife's case. For time being you can wait & watch. The bleeding will mostly stop in 4-5 days. In case of excessive bleeding she may need consultation of Gynaecologist .

I hope I have satisfied your query & concern too. In case you need more information, I would be happy to help you.