Have regular periods. Having ache in breasts and feel sore. Taking extra vitamins. Noticed spotting. What to do?

HI dr. Lundi

I am going for blood work/tests on wd am. At this point, though i am 50, I have had regular periods, and have had intercourse on jun 30 and jul 2. my Last cycle began XXXXXXX 20. it is on average 26-29 days. My breasts re achinginly sorre--never this way before during PMS. also, i had some lt tan-coloured spotting on the tissue, when wiping, but nothing in panties. i figure if i am pregnant, my hcg levels are just getting to wherer they need to be fo a hpt. I will get the prego-related test on wed. ... my bigger question is if i am, how do i keep myself as healthy as possible/ I had 2 children easily before: 1993, 1999. I am 5'8" 137 lbs, active, pt-working teacher/artist/actor. Any advice? I am not taking any extra vitamins... Also, can the very first symptoms of meopause be sooo like this? that would blow my mind.
Posted Sun, 4 Aug 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 1 hour later
Welcome to healthcare Magic!
You have a surprising fitness and appearance I can say seeing your height and weight.
You may be pregnant rather than menopause because you had sexual intercourse on day of maximum fertility in the cycle.
Menopause does not cause abrupt cessation like this.
You do not need much to do for pregnancy. You are elderly so will have to consult a gynecologist about the stand on the pregnancy.
If you want to keep the pregnancy then a balanced diet and folate supplement is advised right now and follow up with a gynecologist of your locality.
I hope the advise would be informative and useful for you.
Take Care!
Follow-up: Have regular periods. Having ache in breasts and feel sore. Taking extra vitamins. Noticed spotting. What to do? 39 minutes later
Thank you for the response. My partner and I are quite anxious at present. As you might imagine. I know already that i would aim to have a full-term pregnancy, but one of my concerns or queries was to learn what chance of a miscarriage there would be. (I would say, "given my age', except that i am healthier than a lot of women 20 years younger--

I wanted to add that I was able to express some colostrum from both nipples last week. this was an unexpected find, and I am not even sure why i tried to squeeze them, as i normally wouldn't.

As well, i do have some cramping, but I believe this could be normal, if pregnant?

(What date do you figure i may have conceived, based on the data I provided?

Thanks in advance.

PS. Would you suggest, even for the next few days, until I find out, to stop anything like coffee, or a glass of red wine? I usually have a glass with my dinners...and am cooking italian for tonight :)
Welcome back to Healthcare Magic.
The first thing I would suggest is to make sure of the pregnancy.
It is simple, get a Urine pregnancy home test done, if positive you need to have an initial evaluation of your health and follow the advise of the gynecologist and the schedule of check ups.
Being elderly gravida is a risky pregnancy and needs extra care, your gynecologist will guide you through.
I hope my advise will guide you to a good health.