Have regular periods. Had unprotected sex. What are the chances of pregnancy?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2016
Mar 2016

OBGYN
Question
Hi dr. I would like to ask i had unprotected sex a few hours ago what are my chances of getting pregnant? First day of my mens was Aug 29 i have regular menses
Posted Thu, 26 Sep 2013 in Getting Pregnant

Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 minutes later
this is a serious issue, my mail is YYYY@YYYY . you can chat me there for more details.

Follow-up: Have regular periods. Had unprotected sex. What are the chances of pregnancy? 2 minutes later
Hi dr i just had uprotected sex a few hrs ago 1st day of my last mens was aug 29 i have regular menses what are my chsnces of getting pregnant

Answered by Dr. S Patra 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Chance of pregnancy is very low or negligible.

Detailed Answer:

You should know that first 5 days after period is very much safe literally in case of regular menstrual cycle.

According to your last menstrual period date (29th Aug), you will ovulate around 11th to 13th September in 28-30 days cycle. Your fertile days or unsafe period will be between 9th to 16th September. However, you had unprotected intercourse few hours ago (6th Sept) and it is within safe period or non-fertile zone.

In this context, your chances of getting pregnant are very low or negligible. You can wait for the next period to come & rule out pregnancy by home pregnancy test in case of delayed period for more than 7 days.

I sincerely hope this information helps for you. Please do write back to me if you need further clarification.

Wish you good health and use protection in future if you do not intend to have kids.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Have regular periods. Had unprotected sex. What are the chances of pregnancy? 17 minutes later
What about taking nordette? Im 35 yrs old controlled hypertensive on Irbesartan once a day obese

Answered by Dr. S Patra 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nordette can be used as emergency contraception.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your response.

Nordette is a after pill or emergency pill like Plan B One Step (containing levonorgestrel) etc. It gives highest protection (more than 95%) within first 24 hrs and it is better than taking Nordette (if available) with history of controlled hypertension.

You will get withdrawal bleeding within 5-7 days of taking the pills. Irregular or late period, nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramp etc are common side effect of those pills.

Hope, I have answered your query. If you do not have any other query, you can close the discussion.

All the best. Good luck.

Dr Soumen