Have regular cycle. Got periods mid cycle. Does this affect conception ?

Mar 2016

Hello Doctor,

I had query regarding periods.
My priods are usually regular.My cycle is like 30-31 days.
This month I got my periods on 9th XXXXXXX I had flow for for 1.5 to 2 days.
I got my periods again yesterday ie 18th XXXXXXX
I am worried as it never happened in the past.
Is this matter of concern?Should I visit gynacologist?
We will be planning baby from this month onwards.Would this periods change afffect?

Which date should I consider for my next month cycle?

Thanks in advance for ansering my query.

Best Regards,
Posted Fri, 5 Jul 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us. Following are my comments:

1) As your previous cycles were regular, then one time irregular spotting or bleeding in the middle of current cycle is nothing significant. It occurs mostly due to mental stress and hormonal imbalance. Contraceptive pill may cause the same features if you are using.

If irregular bleeding continues in the next cycles, then you need to consult with gynecologist for proper investigation to rule out the underlying etiology.

2) If you get your next period timely (with regular ovulation), then this type of period change in one cycle usually does not affect on future planning for baby. Pregnancy depends on proper timing of ovulation and unprotected sex without any contraceptive method.

To maximize the chance of pregnancy, you need to do unprotected sex around fertile days (from 12th to 19th day of each cycle). You can use ovulation prediction kit (LH kit) to predict ovulation time.

3) You will wait for next period on usual due date (i.e. around 9th July). However, it may alter 1-7 days, which is considered as normal phenomena.

Take healthy diet and folic acid supplements for 3 months in preconception period, drink plenty of water, avoid stress or emotional upset by meditation regularly, maintain genital hygiene and take sound sleep.

Hope, I have answered your query. If you have any other query, you can freely ask me.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen